Intermediate / High Intermediate
The most complete and authoritative idioms dictionary available, the Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms gives you the tools to understand contemporary American English. It gives clear, easy-to-understand definitions and more than 1,000 usage notes that explain what idioms mean and how they are used today. With dozens of entertaining illustrations and more than 8,000 example sentences taken from the Cambridge International Corpus, it shows how idioms are really used. The Subject Index helps learners find idioms related to health, money, feelings, truth, and many more topics, and the Study Section groups idioms to make them easier to learn. If you want to understand American English idioms, this is the book that will spell it out for you.
- Easy-to-understand definitions make meanings clear.
- More than 1,000 usage notes explain how to use idioms.
- Up-to-date coverage describes current American English idioms.
- Thousands of example sentences show how idioms are typically used.
- A Subject Index and Study Pages make learning idioms easy.
‘…"...handy and well-thought-out...this is a delightfully uncluttered and user-friendly book for the home and library reference shelves."